|This picture is from HERE|
Friday, December 19, 2014
Thursday, December 11, 2014
|(Updated every day or so until 18 December 2014)|
The library stocktake is now almost complete. We again have a number of books that are missing - they are not in the library and they are not on issue. We'd love to have these books back again, so if you find any hiding behind shelves or under the furniture, at school or at home, please hurry them along back to the library before the holidays.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Monday, December 1, 2014
|Image from My Cute Graphics|
All library books are due back before this Friday, 5th December. You can help out by returning all your library books to the library "As Soon As Possible" and before the end of this week please. I wonder if it will be your class that's first to return all their library books this year?
If you find any other school books
such as journals, junior reading books
and class books lying around at home
please return these to school too.
Thursday, November 27, 2014
|Image from HERE|
Nathaniel, Room 4
Kaitlin, Room 10
Maxx, Room 10
Bella S, Room 10
James F, Room 8
Charlie, Room 8
Libby, Room 6B
Who all received prize packs today (a book & Diary of a Wimpy Kid badges, bookmarks, stickers and/or pens) for their entries in the two Diary of a Wimpy Kid competitions which ran in our library recently. Well done to all of you and thanks for taking part in the competitions.
Monday, November 24, 2014
- "How Santa Really Works" by Alan SNOW
- "Mr. Men : A Christmas Carol" by Adam & Roger HARGREAVES
- "The Nativity" Illustrated by Julie VIVAS
- "The Santa Trap" by Jonathan EMMETT; illustrated by Poly BERNATENE
- "Magic Reindeer : A Christmas Wish" by Sue BENTLEY (Magic Reindeer series)
- "Little Chef, Big Curse" by Tilney COTTON
- "The Screaming Staircase" by Jonathan STROUD (Lockwood & Co series)
- "Tongan For Kids" by Jahri JAH JAH
- "The Curioseum : Collected Stories of the Odd and Marvellous" edited by Adrienne JANSEN
Thursday, November 20, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
- "Little Miss Christmas" by Roger & Adam HARGREAVES
- "Mr. Christmas" by Roger HARGREAVES
- "I Am Not A Worm!" by Scott TULLOCH
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid : The Long Haul" by Jeff KINNEY (Diary of a Wimpy Kid series)
- "Warriors: Tigerstar & Sasha - Escape from the Forest" by Erin HUNTER & Dan JOLLEY (Warriors - Graphic Novel series)
- "Just a Dog" by Michael Gerard BAUER
- "Against the Spin" by Michael PANKRIDGE (The Legends series)
- "Apes and Monkeys" by Barbra TAYLOR (Discover Science series)
- "Things to Make and Do For Christmas" by Fiona WATT (Usborne Activities series)
Thursday, November 13, 2014
Paddington - due in cinemas just before the end of term 4, and the summer holidays.
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day - due in cinemas early December.
AND for the older readers ... and possibly much older viewers ...
Hunger Games : Mockingjay - Part 1 - due in cinemas this month, only a week to go!
The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies - due in cinemas mid December.
Monday, November 10, 2014
- "How to Catch a Monster" by Christina BOLLENBACH
- "Hero of the Hill" by Joy COWLEY; illustrated by Philip WEBB
- "Don't Look Now - Book 1" by Paul JENNINGS; illustrated by Andrew WELDON (Don't Look Now series)
- "Ava Anne Appleton : Accidental Adventurer" by Wendy HARMER (Ava Anne Appleton series)
- "The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett" by Tom ANGLEBERGER (Origami Yoda series)
- "Fantastic Frogs" by Penelope ARLON (Scholastic Reader series)
- "Scooby-Doo! A to Z Ultimate Joke Book" by Howie DEWIN and others
Thursday, November 6, 2014
Monday, November 3, 2014
- "That's Mine" by Michel Van ZEVEREN
- "Oku Tae Maori = My Maori Colours" by Tracey DUNCAN
- "Dragon Boogie" by Erik CRADDOCK (Stone Rabbit series)
- "Cosmic" by Frank Cottrell BOYCE
- "Spooky House" by Sally RIPPIN (Billie B Mystery series)
- "The Year of Big Dreams" by Karen McCOMBIE
- "Nana, Poppa and Tetchy Tui" by Ann SERGEANT
- "Nana's and Poppa's Bucket List" by Ann SERGEANT
Thursday, October 30, 2014
|Image from HERE|
- Design a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book cover
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trivia Quiz
The competitions will run until the end of morning tea on Friday,
14th 21st November.
Entry forms & competition details available in the library.
Please make sure you put your name and room number on your form(s) and give them to Mrs Keane no later than the end of morning tea break on Friday,
14th 21st November 2014.
PRIZES to be won!
Please note: These competitions are open to students of St Brendan's School (Heretaunga) only.
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
- "The Tiger who was Angry" by Rachel ELLIOT; illustrated by John BENDALL-BRUNELLO
- "Double Trouble : Prank Alert" by Fiona REGAN (Double Trouble series)
- "Double Trouble : Midnight Mayhem" by Fiona REGAN (Double Trouble series)
- "Undead Pets : Goldfish from Beyond the Grave" by Sam HAY (Undead Pets series)
- "Emily Feather and the Enchanted Door" by Holly WEBB (Emily Feather series)
- "Monkey Boy" by Donovan BIXLEY
- "Titanic : Disaster at Sea" by Sean CALLERY (Scholastic Reader series)
- "Reptiles" by Belinda WEBER (Discover Science series)
- "Mind-Boggling Lateral Thinking Puzzles" Lucy Dear (editor)
Thursday, October 23, 2014
|Image via www.penguin.co.nz|
The latest in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney, The Long Haul, is due out in bookstores on Wednesday, 5th November 2014.
To help you all prepare for this new addition to the series we'll have Diary of a Wimpy Kid activities in the library at lunchtime on Thursday, 30th October and Tuesday, 4th November.
Come along and join in the fun!
We'll also be running a competition, or maybe two - check the blog again next week for details.
Monday, October 20, 2014
- "The Usborne Big Book of Big Trains" by Megan CULLIS
- "EJ Spy School : The Test" by Susannah McFARLANE (EJ12 Spy School series)
- "EJ Spy School : The Race" by Susannah McFARLANE (EJ12 Spy School series)
- "The Extincts" by Veronica COSSANTELI
- "Night of the Living Dust Bunnies " by Erik CRADDOCK (Stone Rabbit series)
- "The Earthsea Quartet" by Ursula LE GUIN
- "Flight of the Honey Bee" by Raymond HUBER; illustrated by Brian LOVELOCK
- "Ponies" by Laura MARSH (National Geographic KIDS series)
- "Vile Victorians" by Terry DEARY (Horrible Histories series)
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Monday, October 13, 2014
- "Dangerous!" by Tim WARNES
- "The Lamb who came for Dinner" by Steve SMALLMAN; illustrated by Joelle DREIDEMY
- "The Monster Story-Teller" by Jacqueline WILSON; illustrated by Nick SHARRATT
- "Strawberry Thief" by Sally RIPPIN (Billie B Mysteries series)
- "Undead Pets : Night of the Howling Hound " by Sam HAY (Undead Pets series)
- "Dizzy" by Cathy CASSIDY
- "Minecraft : Construction Handbook" by Matthew NEEDLER & others (Minecraft Handbook series)
- "Minecraft : Combat Handbook" by Stephanie MILTON & others (Minecraft Handbook series)
Monday, October 6, 2014
Monday, September 29, 2014
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments series) by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments series) by Cassandra Clare
Clary witnesses a murder at the all-ages nightclub Pandemonium. The perpetrators seem invisible to everyone else and the body vanishes into thin air. She has witnessed a clash between ancient enemies, between a demon and Shadowhunters, and now her life will never be the same.
Tomorrow When the War Began (Tomorrow series) by John Marsden
Ellie and her friends head off for a week camping in the Australian bush, none of them suspecting that when they return their homes will be empty and their families imprisoned by hostile invaders. They have three choices: surrender, run back into the wilderness and hide or fight to save their families and their way of life.
Claws by Mike & Rachel Grinti (Fantasy):
Emma's sister is lost to the fairies, her parents have spent all their money following any lead to find her. Now forced to live in the least desirable part of town, her parents still desperate to find her sister, Emma meets Jack, a down on his luck cat who says he knows exactly how Emma can find her sister and reunite her family.
Freedom Merchants by Sherryl Jordan (Historical/Adventure):
Liam lives in a small Irish village. It's 1615 and like many coastal villages of the time they live in fear of slave raids by Barbary Coast pirates. When his brother is taken in a raid Liam hopes that with the help of local monks they can bargain for the return of the villagers. But first they must cross the treacherous, pirate infested waters before they can begin their search.
Maleficent Seven (Skulduggery Pleasant spin-off) by Derek Landy
Not for the faint hearted this is Tanith Low at her best, and worst! Tanith is desperate for Darquesse to win the coming battle and bring an end to the world. With a hand picked team she sets out to collect the four God-killer weapons together and aid her cause, but she doesn't have it all her own way as another team, the good guys, are out to find them first.
Monday, September 22, 2014
- "Bidibidi" by Gavin BISHOP
- "Jewels for a Princess" by Ruth HOMBERG
- "Eric Vale, Super Male" by Michael Gerard BAUER
- "Pony Stories" by Jan ASTLEY and others
- "Warriors : Warriors Return" by Erin HUNTER, Dan JOLLY; illustrated by James L. BARRY (Warriors - Graphic Novel series)
- "Sorrowline" by Niel BUSHNELL (Timesmith Chronicles series)
- "The Life Cycle of the Frog" by Betty BROWNLIE
- "My Little Book of Space" by Peter GREGO
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Monday, September 15, 2014
- "Tortoise and the Hair" by P. CRUMBLE; illustrated by Louis SHEA
- "Pig the Pug" by Aaron BLABEY
- "The Princess and the Foal" by Stacey GREGG
- "The Journey Through Time" by Geronimo STILTON (Geronimo Stilton series)
- "Claws of the Crocodile" by Bear GRYLLS (Mission Survival series)
- "H.I.V.E. Dreadnought" by Mark WALDEN (H.I.V.E. series)
- "The Rat and the Octopus" by Jill MACGREGOR (Children of the Pacific series)
- "The Solar System" by Charles HOPE (Going Supernova series)
Saturday, September 13, 2014
Happy Roald Dahl Day
You can find out more about Roald Dahl on the Roald Dahl Day 2013 blog post
Monday, September 8, 2014
- "Princess Hearts" by Jennifer Liberts WEINBERG; illustrated by Francesco LEGRAMANDI
- "Footsteps Through the Fog" by Margaret MAHY; illustrated by Gavin BISHOP
- "Astronaut Academy : Re-Entry" by Dave ROMAN (Astronaut Academy series)
- "Warriors : The Rise of Scourge" by Erin HUNTER & Dan JOLLY (Warriors - Graphic Novel series)
- "When Did You See Her Last?" by Lemony SNICKET (All the Wrong Questions series)
- "Naveed" by John HEFFERNAN (Through My Eyes series)
- "Minecraft : Beginner's Handbook" by Stephanie MILTON, Paul SOARES & Jordan MARON (Minecraft Handbook series)
- "Minecraft : Redstone Handbook" by Nick FARWELL (Minecraft Handbook series)
Thursday, September 4, 2014
A picture book a day for a year. If you, or someone you know, likes picture books this is a great place for you to visit. New books and old favourites you can find them at My Friend Lucy HERE.
|Visit MyFriendLucy HERE|
Monday, September 1, 2014
- "The Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit" collected by Joel Chandler HARRIS; illustrated by Don DAILY
- "Herbert : The Brave Sea Dog" by Robyn BELTON
- "Demon Dentist" by David WALLIAMS
- "Freak Street : Meet the Piratesons" by KNIFE & PACKER (Freak Street series)
- "Rebecca and the Queen of Nations" by Deborah BURNSIDE (New Zealand Girl series)
- "Hene and the Burning Harbour" by Paula MORRIS (New Zealand Girl series)
- "Canterbury Quake : Christchurch, 2010-11" by Desna WALLACE (My New Zealand Story series)
- "Harbour Bridge : Auckland, 1958-59" by Phillippa WERRY (My New Zealand Story series)
- "How Dinosaurs Really Work!" by Alan SNOW
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Fans of Derek Landy and Skulduggery Pleasant will be pleased to hear that Derek is coming back to New Zealand later this year. Those in the Wellington region have the chance to see him on Friday, 3rd October at 5.30pm at Scots College. Tickets cost $10 per child/adult or $33 for a copy of The Dying of the Light + a ticket.
|Image from HERE|
All profits to Save the Children.
To book contact:
The Children's Bookshop
Shop 26 Kilbirnie Plaza
Ph: 04 387 3905
Monday, August 25, 2014
- "Happy Birthday, Princess" by Jennifer Liberts WEINBERG
- "Trains" by Catherine FOREMAN
- "Gobbolino the Witch's Cat" by Ursula Moray WILLIAMS
- "Queen of the Universe" by Libby GLEESON (SOLO series)
- "The Secret of the Fairies" by Thea STILTON (Thea Stilton series)
- "Superhero Stampede" by Erik CRADDOCK (Stone Rabbit series)
- "Amazing Agent Jennifer - Omnibus" by Nunzio DeFILIPPIS & Christina WEIR; illustrated by Kriss SISON
- "The Kingfisher Football Encyclopedia" by Clive GIFFORD
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Do you need something fun and free to do this weekend?
|Image from HERE|
When: Sunday, 24 August, 10am-3pm
Where: Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington.
For more information about the Wellington Family Day see HERE
For information about Family Day's in other parts of the country see HERE
Monday, August 18, 2014
- "All the Dear Little Animals" by Ulf NILSSON; illustrated by Eva ERIKSSON
- "Horton Hatches the Egg" by Dr Seuss
- "Playground Detectives" by Sally RIPPIN (Billie B Mystery series)
- "The Trouble with Chickens" by Doreen CRONIN (JJ Tully Mystery series)
- "Undead Pets : Revenge of the Phantom Furball" by Sam HAY (Undead Pets series)
- "Zac's Space Race" by H.I. LARRY (Zac Power Test Drive series)
- "Zac's High Dive" by H.I. LARRY (Zac Power Test Drive series)
- "City of Bones" by Cassandra CLARE (Mortal Instruments series)
- "I am a Doctor" by Deborah CHANCELLOR (Caring For Us series)
Thursday, August 14, 2014
Monday, August 11, 2014
- "The Cat in the Hat comes Back" by Dr SEUSS
- "Big Blue Train" by Julia JARMAN; illustrated by Adrian REYNOLDS
- "Stories of Giants" by Christopher RAWSON
- "Blood Ties" by Garth NIX & Sean WILLIAMS (Spirit Animals series)
- "B C Mambo" by Erik CRADDOCK (Stone Rabbit series)
- "The House of Hades" by Rick RIORDAN (Heroes of Olympus series)
- "Cool City" by Sean KENNEY
- "Magnets" by Steve PARKER
Monday, August 4, 2014
For everyone waiting on book orders from the Scholastic Book Fair warehouse, unfortunately these didn't arrive today as hoped. Fingers crossed that they will all be on their way home with you after school tomorrow.
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
It will also be open late during Student Conferences on Monday and Tuesday.
Mon 28th July 2.40pm-8.00pm(approx.)
Tues 29th July 8.40am-9.15am
Wed 30th July 8.40am-9.15am
Thur 31st July 8.40am-9.15am
Fri 1st August 8.40am-9.15am
Hope to see you there.
Look out for the Book Fair brochure coming home soon. It showcases just a few of the hundreds of books on display and available for purchase in the library - next week only.
Remember all purchases from the Book Fair help to earn free books for our school library.
Monday, July 14, 2014
|Photograph: Moviestore/REX ; via The Guardian.com HERE|
So you like stories about fairies and you think you know quite a lot about them.....then take the 'Fairies in Fiction' Quiz set by Michelle Harrison for The Guardian HERE, and find out if you really do know as much about fairies as you think you do?
Monday, July 7, 2014
Fifty Book Benches have been scattered around London in the United Kingdom in a project by the National Literary Trust to celebrate London's literary heritage and encourage reading.
"The 50 benches are dedicated to books, characters and authors: from Sherlock Holmes, James Bond and Hercules Poirot to Peter Pan, The Gruffalo and Paddington Bear. " The Guardian.com
|The many 'Things' of Dr Seuss, as painted by Sarah Jane Richards. |
Photograph: Chris O’Donovan for the National Literacy Trust’Image via The Guardian.com HERE
The benches will be on display until mid September, then they will be auctioned in early October to raise funds for the National Literary Trust.
Make sure you take the QUIZ BEFORE you have a look at the list of all 50 Book Benches HERE. They truly are amazing!
Source: The Guardian.com HERE
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Where: In the Library
When: Opens Week 2, Term 3
St Brendan's Book Fair 2014 will open after school on Monday, 28th July and be open before and after school until the morning of Friday, 1st August. Check back here early next term for more information about Book Fair opening hours.
This short video below is from the United Kingdom in early 2013, so the advertised books and prices will differ, but the message is the same :)
All purchases from the Book Fair help to earn free books for our school library.
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Margaret Mahy Book of the Year
The Boring Book by Vasanti Unka
Dunger by Joy Cowley
The Beginners Guide to Hunting
and Fishing in New Zealand
by Paul Adamson
and Fishing in New Zealand
by Paul Adamson
The Three Bears ... Sort Of
by Yvonne Morrison &
by Yvonne Morrison &
The Young Adult Fiction winner is:
Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox.
You can see all the winners HERE.
Images via Booksellers NZ
Monday, June 23, 2014
- "Dirty Bertie" by David ROBERTS
- "Dr Seuss' A B C" by Dr SEUSS
- "Undead Pets : Return of the Hungry Hamster" by Sam HAY (Undead Pets series)
- "Code Breakers" by Sally RIPPIN (A Billie B Mystery)
- "The City of Ember - Graphic Novel" by Jeanne DuPRAU; adapted by Dallas MIDDAUGH; illustrated by Niklas ASKER
- "Lost in Babylon" by Peter LERANGIS (Seven Wonders series)
- "Koalas : The Real Story" by Dr Mark NORMAN (OZ Animals series)
- "Terrible Trenches" by Terry DEARY; Illustrated by Martin BROWN (Horrible Histories series)
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Monday, June 16, 2014
- "The Best Mistake Ever! and other stories" by Richard SCARRY
- "Terrific Trains" by Tony MITTON; illustrated by Ant PARKER
- "Zac's Double Dare" by H.I. LARRY (Zac Power - Test Drive series)
- "Zac's Quicksand" by H.I. LARRY (Zac Power - Test Drive series)
- "The Worst Witch All at Sea" by Jill MURPHY (Worst Witch series)
- "The 26-Storey Treehouse" by Andy GRIFFITHS (Treehouse series)
- "H.I.V.E. : Escape Velocity" by Mark WALDEN (H.I.V.E. series)
- "Juggling for the Complete Klutz" by John CASSIDY & B.C. RIMBEAUX
- "Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm" by Nicola BAXTER; illustrated by Cathie SHUTTLEWORTH